Thursday, August 13, 2009

I introduce to you: Our little tweedles!

We made it!
Two embabies are nested all snuggly inside me
and I couldn't be more happy!!

We got the call this AM telling us we should be there at 10:30. Overall, it was super quick and simple. Undress from the waist down, climb onto the table, legs in stirrups, ultrasound on belly, speculum, catheter, babies in pipette... that's where it got really interesting! We were in awe as we watched Dr. Ahlering find the *perfect* spot in my endometrial lining (which he said looked great) and then a little "woosh!" on the ultrasound screen as he released each one into their new home. It was AMAZING!!

There was a bit of discomfort when he was digging into my lining so that he could burry them nice and deep, but It wasn't any more than a mild period cramp. Perfectly managable and worth it! What was probably the toughest was fighting off the tears as we watched everything unfold. I could feel them welling up, but I refused to get all worked up and not be able to see each and every move he was making on the screen. When we were finished, they moved me to a cot and wheeled me back into the recovery room to lie for 30 minutes, wheeled me out the car and that was that. Transfer was here and gone before we could blink an eye.

The SIRM ladies were so sweet today. Penny, the woman who called us yesterday with our news, called today regarding the transfer and asked how I was doing. You could honestly tell she felt concerned about the whole thing. Then, the woman who wheeled me out the the car gave me a big hug as she told me they were all sending us good thoughts going into next week. I have always felt so good about dealing with that office and, even though during the fertilization process I wish they would have been more forthcoming with info prior to it being requested, they have always been very sensitive, timely and respectful. I'm so happy we decided to go with them and am extremely thankful we have made it this far. Feeling very positive going into our beta countdown!

The final details on the blasts they transfered is that they were both grade 2 blasts - one was fully expanded and the other way in the pre-expansion stage. Of course, in my mind they are perfect in every way - see the top-most pic! Our little "tweedles" as Jay has us referring to them. I just think that's so cute! I've modified the previous names a little though. One is tweedle and the other tweedle dee. I just can't have my kids being referred to as "dum".

I just found some info on our little tweedles (ok ok, embryos) that I thought was very neat. According to this site, "Keeping the embryos in the laboratory for almost a week, allows us to observe them growing through the morula and blastocyst stages. The cells compact together to form a morula, and then begin to pump fluid to the center of the morula forming a cyst. As the cyst inflates with fluid, the cells of the embryo organize themselves into 2 distinct groups. The inner cells are the first cells of the fetus, and the outer cells will become the placenta. (neato!) The size of the embryo increases as more and more fluid is pumped into the cyst, and the blastocyst bursts out of its shell. (Our are expanding and will be getting ready to hatch out of their shell soon!) Once out of the shell, it is ready to implant in the uterus."

The other is a pic of them both nestled tightly in my uterus. This one is just too cool to me! The embies are the little white blobs (as indicated by the arrows) and the dotted line represents my endometrial lining. The lining one is a bit harder for me to wrap my head around, but as Jay said, it's the perspective that's throwing me off. Anyway, if the doc knows what he's seeing, then I belive it!

We are still waiting to hear about the fate of our other embryos. As of this AM, Dr. Ahlering spoke with the embryologist who said that our grade 1 blast did arrest and is no longer with us, exactly what they were thinking might happen because it was compacted, and the others (not sure how many at this point) are still growing . They want to watch them the rest of the day to see how much more they mature. Only then will we know how many, if any, we have to freeze. I am trying not to get my hopes to high, but of course it would be wonderful if we had at least two to freeze. Don't get me wrong though, I am thrilled about today's blasts. To make it to transfer is something I will never take for granted. So many things had to line up perfectly in order to even get to this point! As so many of you have pointed out (thank you so, so much by the way!), the grade of our blasts aren't a very good indicator of the possbilities. It's a human's guesstimation and that's about it. As far as we are concerned, I am pregnant until proven otherwise. That should be more than enough to get me at least half way to my beta ;)

Our first beta (HCG blood draw) is next Tuesday, 8/18; our second which will confirm pregnancy is Thursday, 8/20. At SIRM-St. Louis their practice is to not notify patients of the outcome of the first beta. The thought is that it's not really a perfect, or totally accurate, indicator of a BFP. However, the second is. It should, ideally, double from the first number. The paperwork said that we could inquire about the first number if we wanted to know, but I think we'll probably just wait.

We'll also wait on the HPT tests. I don't want to get my body all tied up in a knot if I can help it. And, really, the second beta is just one week from today. That's really not that long at all. Afterall, we've waited SOOO long to get to this point. In retrospect, this is a piece of cake!

As for me, it's total bedrest. I'm laid up on the couch, laptop and tv close by until mid-day tomorrow. Dr. A said that the minimal discomfort I'm feeling down low still from the ER is normal. My ovary still looks fairly enlarged, but there is no extra cause for OHSS alarm, especially since I'm not really having any other symptoms. It could get a bit worse if we get a BFP, but all is on track for now. I was very happy to hear that.

Now, let the dreams and big plans begin! Trying not to get too excited, of course, but how can you not let yourself be just a *little* bit happy!!

Related Posts by Categories


Jay August 13, 2009 at 4:12 PM  

I'm lovin' ya! Take good care of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. =D

Kate August 13, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

Great news! I'm glad you're not suffering from OHSS, and hope the little ones settle in for a long time.

Maureen August 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM  

Yipee!! So glad to hear everything went just praying they snuggle in for the long haul!! And I can't believe you find out next Thursday...that's so quick! I'm thinking that's a good sign b/c that is the day we start our shots!! :o)

Jess August 13, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

Congrats Mama! Your babies are BEAUTIFUL!! I'm praying for your BFP in on the 18th and 20th!

Anonymous August 13, 2009 at 8:10 PM  

Glad to hear things went well. Thanks for such a detailed informative post I enjoyed learning about the details of IVF. I am hoping you get your heart's desire soon!

Fran August 14, 2009 at 8:40 AM  

Oh my dear, yesterday Ikept checking on you for updates, you were in my prayers! I am so happy for you!! Your little tweedles look really beautiful, now keep visualising them dividing and growing and nestling in your lining. Your first beta is going to be so soon! At least your 2ww is not actually that long! Looking forward to hear how the other embryos are doing, but for now you have to focus your energy on those inside you. Lots of love, Fran

Waiting August 14, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

Yay!!! So glad to hear things went well! We must hav JUST missed each other, my appt was at 10, but we didn't get called in until 10:15 or so.
I'll be thinking about all 4 of you for the next week! Fingers crossed!!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by 2008

Back to TOP